LEFTOVER CHAPATHI & SALAD WRAP
Everyday when I finish my dinner I am left with few chapathis or sometimes when guests visit me I get confused and prepare lots of chapathis, which in turn left in tonnes and I have to either throw them up or eat it in Next day’s lunch.
So here I came up with some innovative ideas on how to manage leftovers.
These leftover wheat chapathi salad wrap is not only recycled but it is rich in vitamin A, iron, vitamin C and fibre, making a wholesome, satiating breakfast, from left-over chapatis. This dish can be put together quickly, if the hummus has been prepared in advance and refrigerated.
Cooking Time : 30 mins.
Preparation Time : 4 hours.
Makes 4 wraps.
4 leftover whole wheat chapatis, approx. 200 mm. (8″) in diameter
1 recipe garlic tomato chutney
For the salad
1/2 cup tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup spring onions, sliced
1/2 cup carrot, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 cup lettuce, shredded
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin (jeera) powder
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon olive oil or oil
salt to taste
For the salad
1. Combine all the vegetables and bean sprouts in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Just before serving, add the cumin powder, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and mix well.
How to proceed
1. Place one chapati on a clean dry surface.
2. Spread an even layer of the chutney on the chapati.
3. Top with a generous portion of salad in the centre of the chapati and roll up tightly.
4. Repeat to make the remaining 3 wraps.
5. Serve immediately.