Please dont mistake this tomato sauce with tomato ketchup or regular tomato sauce. This is a classic Italian recipe of Tomato Sauce and it can be used mainly for Pizza. However, it can also be used with Chapathi or any other snacks whichever suits you well.
Cooking Time : 25 to 30 mins.
Preparation Time : 10 mins.
Makes approx. 1 cup.
4 large tomatoes
2 bay leaves
4 to 6 peppercorns
1 small onions
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/2 capsicum, deseeded
2 tablespoons tomato puree (optional)
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil or oil
salt to taste
1. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water.
2. Peel, cut into quarters and deseed the tomatoes.
3. Chop finely and keep the tomato pulp aside.
4. Heat the oilve oil, add the bay leaves and peppercorns and saute for a few seconds.
5. Add the onion, garlic and capsicum and saute for a few minutes.
6. Add the tomato pulp and allow it to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce reduces a little.
7. Add the tomato puree, ketchup, sugar and salt and simmer for some more time.
8. Finally, add the oregano and mix well. Remove the capsicum, bay leaves and peppercorns and discard.
9. Use as required.
Gentlemen Tip : You can make in advance large quantities of this sauce by multiplying the above recipe and refrigerate until required.