Karela Stir Fried (Bitter Gourd Stir Fried), Diabetic Recipe
by Arpit, Published: August 19, 2011
Karelas are very diabetes-friendly, containing a high plant insulin dose that acts like human insulin in the body and help control blood sugar levels.
Yield: Serves 2
1 cup deseeded and thinly sliced bitter gourd (करेला)
1 cup finely chopped onions (प्याज)
a pinch of chilli powder (लाल मिर्च पावडर)
a pinch of turmeric powder (हलदी पावडर)
a pinch of sugar substitute (सुगर स्थानापन्न)
1 tsp oil (तेल)
salt to taste (नमक)
2. Spoon the salted bitter gourd slices onto a kitchen towel and dab them lightly so that the towel absorbs all the moisture.
3. Spread the slices to form a thin layer in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring once in between.
4. Keep aside.
5. Meanwhile heat the oil in a non-stick pan add the onions and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
6. Add all the remaining ingredients including the microwaved bitter gourd slices.
7. Allow to cook, stirring continuously till the slices become crisp.
8. Serve hot.