French Bean and Green Peas Curry (Fanasi Vatana nu Shaak)
by Arpit, Published: November 13, 2012
Fansi Vatana nu Shaak is popular in some parts of Gujarat. This is so easy and fast currry. This recipe cannot be considered as Gujarati Curry but we can tell it as a fusion of South Indian and West Indian cooking style.
So here we go with the recipe and I Wish all my readers, Happy Diwali!!!!
Yield: Serves 2
4 cups Green French Beans, Cut (फणसी)
2 cups Green Peas (हरे मटर)
2 tbsp Oil (तेल)
1 pinch Asafoetedia (हिंग)
2 tsp Cumin Seeds (जीरा)
5 Red Chillies (लाल मीर्च)
2 tbsp washed Urad Dal (उडद दाल)
2 tsp coriander powder (धनीया पाव्डर)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (हल्दी)
salt, as per taste (नमक)
lemon juice, as per taste (नीम्बु का रस)
2. When the cumin seeds crack, add hing, red chilies and urad dal.
3. Stir-fry for half a minute, stop if the urad dal changes color.
4. Add green beans and peas, mix it well, and cover the pan. Turn down the heat to medium.
5. Let it cook for five to six minutes until the peas and beans are lightly tender. Do stir once in between.
6. Remove the cover and add the coriander powder, salt, and turmeric.
7. Let beans and peas cook without cover to allow the water to evaporate, this way the beans don’t become mushy. Stir the beans occasionally. Beans and peas should be lightly moist.
8. After turning off the heat add lemon juice.