How to make Clarified Butter at Home (घी बनाने की वीधी)
Clarified butter (also know as drawn butter) is butter with the milk solids separated and the water content evaporated. The remainder is a clear yellow butterfat that can be heated to much higher temperatures without burning. The higher smoke point makes clarified butter ideal for frying and delicate baking.
Unlike regular butter, clarified butter does not need to be refrigerated and has shelf life of up to six months.
I have two ways of Making clarified butter, one is Instant and other is Long and real process of making Clarified butter at home.
How to make Instant Clarified Butter:
To make (1/2 cup):
Method 1: Melt stick of butter (8 oz) in small sauce pan over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and let stand until the solids settle (about 5 minutes) then pour off clear golden liquid*.
Method 2: Place stick of butter in 2 cup, microwaveable measure, and microwave on high for about 1 1/2 minutes or until melted. Skim off and discard foam*.
*Note: An alternative and easy way to seperate: refrigerate until solid, lift off butter and discard milky remains.
How to make Instant Clarified Butter from Milk’s Cream (दुध की मलाइ):
1. If you are taking Full Cream milk at home, then boil milk and keep it open in refrigerator for 24 hours.
2. Next day, a thick layer will be formed above your milk. This is what we call as Malai in India. (If you add little milk to this Malai and stir it continuously, you can have Instant Cream at home.)
3. Accumulate this Malai for 1 week in a container.
4. Once you have accumulated enough Malai, take it out of refrigerator and let it come to room temperature (Approx. 8 hours).
5. Now, add 2 tbsp curd for 4 cups of Malai and mix it well.
6. Now, let it remain for 1 night (approximately 12-18 hours).
7. Next day: Blend this mixture until it becomes thick (Approximately 5-8 minutes). Now add 2 glasses of water and allow it to rest.
8. Now white butter will float above milk (मक्खन). Separate this butter in a pan. Wash butter for 3 times by adding water and removing again and again.
9. Heat butter on slow flame for approximately 15-20 minutes.
10.Remove from heat and add a pinch of salt. Let it stand until the solids settle (about 5 minutes) then pour off clear golden liquid.
Clarified butter substitute
If you do not have clarified butter handy, a quick substitute when frying with clarified butter is to simply add a dash of olive oil to regular butter. It’s hard to distinguish the taste difference and since the olive oil has a higher smoke point, your food is less likely to burn in the pan.