Recently I have been to a restaurant, and we ordered a new kind of appetizer (at least for me). I have heard about Veg. Manchurian and Gobi Manchurian. But I have hardly heard about Baby Corn Manchurian. It was an interesting dish to try out. And here I have tried to replicate that yummy dish.
Prep & Cooking Time: 40 mts
Serves 4-5 persons
15-16 baby corn, each cut diagonally into two
1 1/2 tbsps maida/all-purpose flour
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp rice flour (optional)
1 tsp ginger-garlic-green chilli paste
Water to make semi-thin batter
salt to taste
1/4 cup spring onions, finely chopped,
1 capsicum, finely sliced
1/2 tbsp finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp finely minced ginger
1 or 2 finely chopped green chillis (This can be increased if you like spicy dish)
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd (preferably Kashmiri)
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp chilli sauce
1 1/2 tsps vinegar
2 tbsps tomato sauce
1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
salt as required
1 1/2 tbsps sesame oil
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel.
2. In a bowl, combine maida, cornflour, rice flour, salt, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and water to make a thick paste. Dip the washed and drained baby corns into the batter such that its well coated. Place each piece that is well coated with the batter into the hot oil. Reduce flame and deep fry till the baby corn is almost cooked. Increase the flame towards the end of the cooking process and fry the baby corn till it turns golden brown. Remove onto absorbent paper and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a large wok and once the oil is piping hot, add the chopped garlic and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the green chillis and ginger and stir fry on high for a few seconds.
4. Add the whites of spring onions and stir fry on high for 3-4 mts, constantly tossing them. Add the sliced capsicum and stir fry for another 3 mts. They should retain their crunch.
5. Reduce to medium heat and add the brown sugar, soya sauce, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and vinegar. Combine well and cook for 2 mts. Add 3 tbsps of water and cook for 2 mts.
6. Add the deep fried baby corn and combine. Toss on high flame for 1-2 mts. Turn off heat. Garnish with the chopped spring onion greens and coriander leaves.